The hunt is on for the public and private sector institutions that are contributing most to private capital mobilization and developing bankable and investable Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) projects in Africa.
Africa as a continent, needs to mobilise $3trn in order to meet its Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) projects by 2030, while the whole world only managed to mobilise $2.8trn for renewable energy investments over the past 20 years, with Africa only receiving 2% of that global sum.
Announced at the Global NDC Conference in Berlin, the 2023 NDC Investment Summit and Awards will be presented at COP28 in the UAE in December.
Hosted by the Africa investor (Ai) and sponsored by the African Green Infrastructure Investment Bank (AfGIIB), these NDC awards are the only international, pan-African NDC investment awards that recognize and reward both public and private sector institutions, who are working to innovate and break new ground to mobilize private capital and private sector participation at scale, to Africa’s bankable NDC investment commitments and projects.
Could your organisation or project be a 2023 NDC Investment initiative of the Year?
Entry is a simple 500-word nomination outlining how your organisation meets the awards criteria. Entries from any public or private institution, whether African or international, are welcome provided they meet the attached category criteria.
NDC Investment Awards will be presented in the following categories:
Best NDC Sector Initiatives of the Year:
- Best Waste NDC Initiative of the Year
- Best Energy NDC Initiative of the Year
- Best Transport NDC Initiative of the Year
- Best Urban Development NDC of the Year
- Best Forestry NDC Initiative of the Year
- Best Agriculture NDC Initiative of the Year
- Best Education NDC Initiative of the Year
- Best Health NDC Initiative of the Year
- Best Water NDC Initiative of the Year
- Best Tourism NDC Initiative of the Year
Private Capital Mobilization initiatives of the Year:
- Best Investable NDC Adaption Initiative of the Year
- Best Bankable Donor NDC Initiative of the Year (technical assistance/financing/project development).
- Best Blended Investment NDC Initiative of the Year
- Best Financeable NDC City Initiative of the Year
- Best GreenTech NDC Initiative of the Year
- Best Youth NDC Initiative of the Year
To recognize exemplary Presidential investment leadership on Africa’s climate transition, the NDC Awards Secretariat will present the following Honorary NDC Presidential Investment Statesman of the Year Awards.
Honorary NDC Presidential Investment Statesman of the Year Awards.
1) Presidential ” Green Infrastructure Investment Statesman” of the Year
2) Presidential “Just Transition Investment Statesman ” of the Year
3) Presidential ” Carbon Exchange Investment Statesman” of the Year
4) Presidential” Transport Investment Statesman” of the Year
5) Presidential “Water Investment Statesman” of the Year
6) Presidential “Agriculture Investment Statesman” of the Year
The 2023 NDC Investment Awards high-level Adjudication panel consists:
- Dr. Hubert Danso, Chairman of Africa investor Group and the Chair of the NDC Awards Adjudication panel.
- Damilola Ogunbiyi, CEO and UN SRSG for Sustainable Energy for All, Co-Chair of UN-Energy.
- John Denton, Secretary General of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
- Ziad-Alexandre Hayek, President of the World Association of PPP Units (WAPPP).
- Kandeh Yumkella, Former UN Under-Secretary-General and Special Representative of the Secretary-General and CEO.
Commenting on the Ai NDC Investment Awards winners, Dr. Hubert Danso, Chairman of Africa investor Group and the Chair of the NDC Awards Adjudication panel said, “Africa investor (Ai) is proud to use its global investment platform, to showcase and recognize Africa’s NDC project sponsors, developers, financiers, investors and Presidential Champions. This growing community of leaders are critical to the continent mobilising the required $3trn of green investment for our NDC’s by 2030, to pursue Africa’s NetZero aspirations.
He went on to say, “The importance of these global NDC Investment Awards cannot be overstated, given the scale, urgency and fact that the majority of Africa’s $3trn of NDC’s investment requirements, will need to mobilize and secure unprecedented allocations of private capital at scale and speed, which is why we are pleased to add this year, a dedicated Private Capital Mobilization category.
The deadline for entry submissions is August 31 this year, and the shortlist will be announced the following month on September 22 during UN Climate Week in New York. The Award winners will be announced in December at COP28 in the UAE.
To submit your entry, please click here.
Note to Editors
About The NDC Investment Awards Headline sponsor
The African Green Infrastructure Investment Bank (AfGIIB) is an African Union-convened and supported African institutional investor-led, global climate investment platform, to catalyze private capital for Africa’s green transition. Visit www.afgiib.com for more information.
About Africa investor (Ai) Group
Africa investor (Ai) Group is an institutional investment holding platform that aligns its pools of capital from sovereign wealth funds, pension funds, family offices, and long-term investors with vetted infrastructure, private equity, and technology investment opportunities in Africa. Visit www.africainvestor.com