Sales and Research Consultant
Africa investor; Johannesburg, South Africa; 15 Jan 2013Job Opportunity at Africa investor
Africa investor is recruiting a Sales and Research Consultant who will assist with the process of completion and selling of various research products, and will help coordinate exciting new business development opportunities for Africa investor Capital.
Additionally, the candidate will assist in the preparation of various media and communication platforms, including Africa investor magazine, Events and Africa investor’s various online platforms. The role will be performance based, and will require the mandatory meeting of monthly sales targets.
Research Consulting/Sales Duties
Africa investor Research
Ai Research provides a family of products and services that support our clients’ investment processes in major asset classes across Africa.
Our goal is to leverage our deep understanding of Africa’s financial markets to turn data-driven insights into tools that our clients can use to meet their investment process needs.
We offer a number of specific landmark platforms; a dedicated online investment portal, a news and newswire service for listed companies and the financial media, a rich portfolio of research offerings including our weekly Ai Index Series market commentary, a well-regarded, established bi-monthly newsstand magazine (English/Chinese), and a weekly finance and lifestyle e-zine.
We specialise in research on key sectors of business and finance, including: capital markets, private equity, infrastructure, agribusiness, regional economic integration, tourism, technology, and many others.
Africa investor also hosts the Africa investor Advisory Council, an initiative that brings leading investors, business CEOs and African Heads of State to annual roundtable events (in New York and Ethiopia) to contribute to regional economic integration, to promote intra-regional trade in Africa and to encourage an enabling business environment on the continent.
The entire role will include:
* Drafting and editing of concept notes, project proposals and budgets
* Investigating and commissioning bespoke research projects/products
* Conducting financial market research
* Liaising with clients to ensure the continued profitability of the research department
* Liaising with partners to coordinate Ai Advisory Council events
* Recruiting members for Council, including leading CEOs, investment leaders and African Heads of State
* Providing background research for any projects the company undertakes
* Assisting with general administrative tasks such as arranging meetings, liaising with external contacts, maintaining meeting minutes, and creating PowerPoint presentations
* Developing and managing a PR/marketing plan for the Council
* Meeting monthly sales targets with regards to bespoke research projects, and the other research offerings that Africa investor provides
Work under the Senior Editor to perform a variety of copy writing, proofreading, research and general office administrative tasks:
* Research and write articles related to business and investment climate in Africa
* Proofread magazine and other copy (e.g. press releases) for content, spelling and grammar. In some cases, this may involve working on content briefs, rewriting materials or liaising with journalists on amendments to content
* Work with the editorial team to select images to accompany articles, give feedback on page layouts and update daily web content
* Continue the development of a number of new projects
* Manage some editorial projects from beginning to publication
* Edit any outputs of the company
* Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, business, communications, finance, economics, investment, international relations or a related field
* At least 2 years of professional work experience, preferably in the field of project finance, journalism or financial/investment research
* A proven track record of sales and marketing experience
* Demonstrate an interest in economic growth and development in Africa
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills (these will be tested)
* Good research skills and ability to write on new or previously unfamiliar topics
* Proficiency in Microsoft Word package
* Strong organisational skills
* Proven project management skills
* Open to new ideas and willing to take on new tasks or learn new skills
* Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
* Willingness to work extended hours occasionally and to travel locally or internationally
* Proven ability to develop and enhance effective professional business relationships
* Provide positive examples of work habits and leadership; encourage a collaborative approach to develop innovative ideas
* Ability to work independently
* Sales experience, including the drafting and pitching of proposals to clients, is an advantage
The applicant will be required to travel often in order to meet with clients and own transport is a must. Therefore, the candidate should be organized, driven and be able to take the initiative in identifying development opportunities for the research department as well as other facets of the Ai business. In addition, the candidate should be personable and presentable with a pleasant phone manner.
Africa investor is a specialist investment and communications firm advising governments, international organisations and businesses on communication strategies for capital market and foreign direct investments in Africa. Africa investor publishes Africa investor, the leading international newsstand magazine for Africa’s investment decision makers; maintains the Africa investor 40 Investors’ Index; and hosts the Ai Index Series Summit & Awards and the Africa investor Infrastructure Projects Summit & Awards, among other high level events.
To apply for this position, please email a CV and motivational letter to Hubert Danso, email@example.com, with the subject line "Sales and Research Consultant"